Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Basic Smell Theory

I am blessed and cursed with an abnormally good sense of smell.

Here are my observations so far . . .

VOLUME
The more particles in the air of a smell, the more accurate you will be able to detect the chemical nature of the smell. For example . . . from a distance orange juice and say urine smell similar. (In fact I've known when my dog has peed in the basement of the house when I, while docily sleeping on the 2 nd floor of the house, could smell the ever so faint smell of something that smells like orange juice come through the air conditioner vent - although it had a very faint acrid note that made me suspect otherwise).

Now up close say a few feet away, where there is a higher concentration of molecules in the vicinity it is much easier to detect what the exact chemical nature of the smell is.

DEFENSE

I have sparred myself falling ill from bad foods by simply smelling them. Remember the nose is a chemical sensor. It detects chemical information in the environment around you. There's a reason why your nose is right above your mouth and not right above your ass or arm pits or feet!

No comments: